Thursday, October 20, 2011

Soneto para la mujer más hermosa

hers is not to be called beautiful, but
to dig in medical books for mystic
knowledge, ancient Hippocratic secrets.
hers is not a vampire but singing blood;
hers a canticle of knowing, cryptic
with obtaining and rebuking regrets
for their hand-wringing or their rash of flesh.
hers a taut oath to a paralyzed god
of self-denying, a hooded skull-like wretch
who wraithes her with pierced hands, an iron rod,
and a manic word: sprechstimme of scripture.
hers is floundering, patient smiling walks
every day, every day; censure
of routine: love eats her like waves at rocks.
Love eats me like a vampire, blood for her
and I know distal alabaster chimes,
her eyes, her eyes, a routine of furor;
I know her rage for me. I know my crimes.
her is mine to protect from blasphemy.
hers a soak in mirrors by painted tears:
I remove my façade of infamy
and rock her, rock her, that hells are her fears:
my hell, the burn of sins unforgiven;
and hers, the flame of lone years in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment